This program is geared for 2-year Object Relations Theory and Practice program graduates (or the equivalent) who desire advanced training in couple treatment.
Psychoanalytic couple therapy is a challenging endeavor and a useful, rewarding area of clinical practice. The didactic content of the program covers assessment and consultation with couples, establishing and maintaining a couple perspective in treatment, understanding and utilizing the therapist’s countertransference responses, and dealing with common challenges in couple work such as polarizing identifications, aggression in couples, differing degrees of motivation for treatment, and couples with trauma histories. Although this program is primarily targeted for those psychotherapists seeing couples in treatment, child psychotherapists may find it helpful as well in addressing parenting issues and understanding the effect of the couple relationship on the child.
To receive a certificate, all educational requirements of the program must be met; however, clinicians may participate in aspects of the program such as the Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy Videoconference without enrolling in the program to pursue the couple therapy certificate.
The Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy Videoconference is a live online course focusing on special topics and challenges in the practice of couple treatment, using didactic lectures, case presentation and discussion, and advance readings. The course features presenters from the International Psychotherapy Institute and colleagues from the U.S., Argentina, England, Greece, Israel, and Scotland. Participants may attend the course in person in Indianapolis, IN, Athens, Greece, and Tel Aviv, Israel, or join by video over the internet. Internet participants will all have the opportunity to participate fully in the seminar by joining in the live discussion with the presenter and local sites. Participants joining over the internet can do so easily by downloading a free program and clicking on a simple link provided for each session.
Two semesters: Beginning new classes in September and January
Carla Trusty-Smith, PhD
Students enrolled in the Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy Certificate Program need to complete all of these requirements to receive a certificate.
- complete 6 terms of the Foundations In Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy course by video or phone link
- attend 2 couple, child, and family summer institutes*
- join us for 1 IPI child, couple, and family weekend conference*
- demonstrate competency in three supervised couple cases (35 hours each)
- present a couple case to peers
- meet with an advisor bi-annually
- complete 2 years of twice weekly psychoanalytically-based psychotherapy (or analysis).
*Affective small groups will take place during the summer institute and the IPI weekend conference.
Continuing Education Credit
CE Credits are awarded for participation in the Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy Video course; the weekend conferences, and the summer institutes on an hour per hour basis.
- Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy Video course provides 14-16 CE credits per semester.
- IPI Weekend Conferences provide approximately 14 CE credits each.
- Summer Institutes vary in the amount of CE credit offered. The number of continuing education hours will be stated in each institute description when scheduled.
Prospective students must have completed the IPI Object Relations Theory and Practice Program (or its equivalent), and have an interest in advanced couple therapy training
To apply for enrollment in the Psychoanalytic Couples Therapy Program complete the online registration form.
Register for the Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couples Therapy videoconference here.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition is a sum of the fees for the individual course components:
- $330 per semester for the Foundations of Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy videoconference
- $497 advance registration fees for weekend conferences
- Summer Institute registration fees TBA
Should you have any questions about the program or the application process, please feel free to contact:
Carla Trusty-Smith - email@example.com